Sunday, February 23, 2014

More furniture

Here are a few random pictures of furniture that needs to be restored and a few pieces that are finished.



This piece is next on the list to be restored during the summer or early fall. I always wanted a Victorian home but a room full of Victorian furniture will do. This wardrobe cabinet is in the Eastlake Victorian style and was made around 1880. Luckily for us, all of the pieces were there and covered with about eighty years worth of paint...lol. It has so much paint on it that a lot of the original details are filled in! I am going to strip this down to the bare wood and finish it in dyed shellac, which is how it would have been originally.







Here is a side view of the Victorian wardrobe.


Interior view

I also like Victorian pieces because they come apart easily. Wardrobe cabinets like this are sometimes called "knockdown wardrobes" because they are held together with dowels and screws and can come completely apart within a few minutes. This was to make it easier to move throughout the narrow hallways of a Victorian home. We have a few big pieces of furniture from the Victorian era and they all come apart like this. Just look at the picture below...no joke this is the same piece from the above pictures. The entire wardrobe fit into the back seat of our extended cab truck!


Yes, this is the wardrobe from above. Excuse all of the random crap in the background...lol. Even the store owner laughed at this sight. If I can't do anything else I can definitely pack stuff!

We had a lot of DVDs, VHS and video games laying around the bedroom and another small room. I opted to get a cheesy DVD holder from our local walmart and it really sucked. We used the two stands and a bookcase for about two years and I finally decided to look for something else to store the DVDs and games in. I have seen multiple sheet music cabinets in our travels but I never thought about using it for modern day use. One Saturday, we decided to visit a secondhand furniture shop (one of our local favorites) and there they were waiting for me. I starting thinking what can I use these for (the light bulb lit up) and I decided to use it for a DVD, CD, VHS and video game holder. Problem solved! It's funny because one of the employees asked my husband what are we using them for so he told them and she said, "that is very creative". Just patting myself on the back here...lol.

The original keys came with both of these pieces. The first one is more ornate and dates to about 1900. It is covered with mahogany veneer.





Just to give you an idea of what we use it for.




Sorry about the hanger in the picture but this was the best picture I could find without moving everything around in our bedroom to take another picture. This one is oak that is finished in a dyed shellac to look like mahogany. This one is a little newer than the other one, probably circa 1910. *Side note: the radiator will eventually be sand blasted and repainted at a later date. 

Check back for updates!

No comments:

Post a Comment